Yayasan Humanis dan Inovasi Sosial (hereinafter: Humanis), an affiliate organization of Hivos, is a Jakarta-based non-profit development organization that works across the Southeast Asia region. Humanis works with marginalized groups and frontrunners to exercise rights and freedoms, bring about changes, influence decisions and hold those in power to account. As the name itself suggests, Humanis envisions just and sustainable societies in Southeast Asia that fulfill and protect the rights of each individual, as well as respect differences and backgrounds. To achieve our vision, we focus on three impact areas: Gender Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion (GEDI), Civic Rights in the Digital Age (CRIDA), and Climate Justice. Currently, we have ongoing programs in Indonesia, Timor-Leste, the Philippines, and Vietnam
Humanis seeks qualified candidates for the position of:
Title : Researcher for Global Girls Creating Change (G2C2) Project (Consultant)
Duty Station : Jakarta, Indonesia
Report to : Project Officer (PO) G2C2
Duration : March to May 2024
The Global Girls Creating Change (G2C2) is a project that aims to foster and elevate a diverse movement of girl-centered climate action to lead, shape, and inform equitable, inclusive climate policies and actions. This is informed by an intersectional climate justice approach, with girls in all their diversity, and in particular girls from marginalized groups disproportionately affected by climate change, at the center. The project is implemented by a consortium of Hivos (lead), Restless Development, and Yayasan Humanis dan Inovasi Sosial (Humanis) with In-County programming in Brazil, Indonesia, Nepal and Uganda. In Indonesia, Humanis brings extensive experience with youth, gender equality and climate programs. The project will strengthen the capacity of girls and young women (age 15 – 25 years old) in all their diversity, to develop skills to engage in and lead inclusive climate action, to foster diverse coalition of girls in each country for national, regional, and global advocacy, and to provide seed fund support for girls initiatives to co-create climate innovations in their communities in 5 regions: Sumatra, Java, Kalimantan, Sulawesi, and West Nusa Tenggara.
The main objective of the assignment is to conduct a scoping study specifically to identify barriers and needs associated with climate issues and girls’ participation from each region. Furthermore, this study will also inform approach, strategy, risk, and mitigation revolving around the project implementation, and map the potential girls-group and/or community and relevant stakeholders (private sector, government, and Civil Society Organization) to be engaged in the project. Data/information related to performance indicators shall also be collected for the assignment as baseline. After completion of the study, the assigned team of consultants will facilitate a workshop engaging key stakeholders of the G2C2 Program to disseminate the findings.
The Global Girls Creating Change aims to foster girl-led movement for inclusive climate justice in Indonesia. Thus, the scoping study should ensure active participation of young women and girls, and when possible, led by young women and girls as the implementer of the study.
Scope of Work
The assigned team of researchers are expected to conduct a study with a mixed methodology of quantitative and qualitative research. The study should target project’s main stakeholders including girls, young women in school and university, relevant civil society organization, enterprises, media, and local government in the issue related to climate justice. The mixed method of the study will answer these sets of questions that will support project’s objectives:
- What are the trends and barriers faced by girls (age 15-18 years old), young women (age 18-25 years old) and other marginalized groups in Indonesia and specifically in the region of Sumatera, Java, Kalimantan, Sulawesi and West Nusa Tenggara associated with their meaningful participation to lead, shape, and inform equitable, inclusive climate policies and actions?
- What is the context analysis and entry point when it comes to specific climate issues in the 5 regions (Sumatra, Java, Kalimantan, Sulawesi, and West Nusa Tenggara) that can support and/or hinder program implementation, especially related to equitable, inclusive climate policies and actions?
- What strategies and mitigations need to be prepared by girls and young women (age 15 – 25 years old) to be able to utilize the regional context towards equitable, inclusive climate policies and actions in their local respective settings (sub-national level)
- Who are the key stakeholders in the targeted regions and at the national level who can be involved in supporting project implementation and achieving objectives?
- What does each key stakeholder need to be able to support girls-led initiatives on climate change in the respective regions?
The assigned team may develop their own sets of questions to answer those five main questions with mixed methods of qualitative and quantitative research.
Qualifications and Experiences :
- Solid understanding of research methodology, as well as the climate justice and gender equality issues
- Familiarity with the inclusive and gender equal approach of data collection, including the youth-led research method
- Include the research consultation within the process of the study by mentioning the expert and/or institution that will review the overall study
- Excellent reporting and communication skills.
For more detailed Term of Reference (ToR) information, please click the following link:
We Welcome You to Apply
We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We particularly encourage applications from rightsholders and communities that have historically been excluded from access to employment including candidates who are gender and sexual minority, from ethnic and/or religious minority communities, with a disability, impairment, learning difference, or long-term condition, with caring responsibilities, and from less advantaged socioeconomic backgrounds.
Interested teams are requested to submit an electronic copy of their expression of interest and proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 29 February 2024 (COB). Please put in the email subject: G2C2_Scoping Study_Name of Consultant.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
For more information about Yayasan Humanis, visit https://hsi.foundation/